Asterisk (*) designates books
which beginners in the Liturgy of the Hours may find helpful.
The Breviary Through the Centuries. Pierre Salmon, O.S.B. Collegeville, Minnesota: The Liturgical Press. 1962.
Companion to the Breviary. Austin Flannery, O.P. ed. Dublin: Costello Publishing Co. Circa 1970 (Out of Print).
* Company of Voices: Daily Prayer and the People of God. George Guiver. New York: Pueblo Publishing Co.1988.
From Breviary to Liturgy of the Hours: Structural Reform of the Roman Office, 1964-1971. Stanislaus Campbell, F.S.C. Collegeville, Minnesota: The Liturgical Press. 1995.
* General Instruction of the Liturgy of the Hours. Liturgy Documentary Series 5. Washington, D.C. USCC Publications Office. 1983. Publication no. 898.
Hymnal for the Hours, GIA Publications 7404 S. Masion Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60638. 1989.
* The Liturgy of the Hours: The General Instruction With Commentary. A.M. Roguet, O.P., commentary. Collegeville, Minnesota: Liturgical Abbey Press. 1971.
* The Liturgy of the Hours: Its history and its importance in the communal prayer of the Church after the Liturgical Reform of Vatican II. Dominic F. Scotto, T.O.R. Petersham, Mass. St. Bede's Publications. 1987.
The Liturgy of the Hours in East and West: The Origins of the Divine Office and its Meaning for Today. Robert Taft, S.J. Collegeville, Minnesota: The Liturgical Press. 1986.
* The Liturgy of the Hours: Study Text VII. The Bishops' Committee on the Liturgy. Washington, D.C. USCC Publications Office. 1981.
* The Spiritual Potential of the Liturgy of the Hours. Sr. Janet Baxendale, S.C. reprinted in Origins, November 11, 1993, Vol. 23: NO. 22 .
* Together in Prayer: Learning to Love the Liturgy of the Hours. Charles E. Miller, C.M. Staten Island: Alba House. 1994.
THE PSALMS IN THE LITURGY OF THE HOURS
* Bread in the Wilderness, Thomas Merton, Collegeville, Minnesota: Liturgical Press. 1953.
Christ in the Psalms. Brian McNeil. Dublin: Veritas Publications. 1980.